Monday, January 31, 2011

WSPR

I love the beach. I think it's part of my DNA. So when I found out that I was speaking at the Western Society for Pediatric Research conference in Carmel, California, I got pretty excited. I hadn't spent much time on the California coast north of Newport Beach, but Carmel definitely didn't disappoint. It is a lovely, half-mile long beach set up right next to the fabulous Pebble Beach Golf Course. The most free-time we had was the first day there and we couldn't have asked for nicer weather. Of course, I walked to the beach as quickly as my feet would carry me.


I dipped my toes in the FREEZING cold Pacific Ocean.
Much too cold for swimming this time of year.

I was happy to be there.

The actual town of Carmel shouldn't go unmentioned. It is picturesque, quaint, and charming with every nook and cranny looking like it's out of a Thomas Kinkade picture.
The flowers were blooming and the air smelled of blossoms already!



The streets were lined with fantastic shops complete with leaded glass and Dutch doors. There were patisseries and boulangeries every block that filled the air with the smell of baking bread and cinnamon.


This was the most amazing fromagerie I have ever seen. The Carmel Cheese Shop. They let us try as many cheeses as we wanted. Double cream smoked gouda, alsace muenster, beecher's flagship cheddar, aged gruyere, Humboldt fog, Leerdermeer, etc. I had intended simply to taste, but definitely didn't leave empty handed...

Best grilled cheese ever.

Carmel was such a nice and welcomed break from the cold, Utah winter. I will definitely be returning there, but next time with my golf clubs!


Side note: The conference itself was also great. Speaking in that kind of setting was definitely a new, frightening experience, but a good one. I'm glad it's over though.

3 comments:

  1. I love Carmel! Derek and I spent some of our honeymoon there! So glad you got to go:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone through the fridge. Where's the cheese?
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooooooooooooooo cool! you're phenomenal lova!

    ReplyDelete